Sunday, April 24, 2005

 

Child-bride debate and religious scrutiny

Some of Muslim readers have contacted me about my recent post concerning Runar Sögaard and his preaching about Mohammed marrying Ayesha when she was 6, and "welcoming" her to his house (I guess that phrase is free for interpretation) when she was 9. This according to Sahih Muslim Book 008, Number 3309.

Yes, I am aware that Virgin Mary was around 12 when she gave birth to Jesus. Which was implied by my subtle point when I wrote that Mr Sögaard's speech was "etnocentrist, at best".

Still, I have a hard time understanding what's so inflammatory about all of this. This is clearly a part of an old context that seems out of date in most modern societies. According to old Mosaic law puberty decided when you became a man or a woman in society. Child-brides (by modern day standards) were not unusual. The only part we might want to discuss is why this custom still lingers in the Muslim communities in the Middle East and among a few evangelical Christian congregations in the American heartland.



<< Home
depeche mode tour 2005/2006