Tuesday, May 10, 2005

 

A modern classic on censorship

This is a modern classic (Crossfire from 1986 with Frank Zappa) and a great lecture in political philosophy. Someone should send this to the FCC, although I fear they wouldn't get the point.

Zappa is my hero. And his relaxed answers to the censorship-advocaters around him in the studio points out that the overtly correct pundits (from all over the political scene) so many times are totally lost in their cause to do good. I firmly believe that the road to hell is paved by naïve do-gooders. Zappa gets his point across in a nice way, and manages to say "kiss my ass" on to his opponent from the Washington Times.

This is a sweet little excerpt from the transcript:
Bob Novak: Is there no filth, no obscenities that you think would qualify to be suppressed?
Zappa: We're talking about words here[...] and there are no words that need to be suppressed.
Tom Braden: But there are certain words you use that are... eh... describe an act of fornication, eh... which are brutal!
Zappa: So?

I have to go and get my old Zappa records and listen to "Bobby Brown goes down" or "Crew Slut".



<< Home
depeche mode tour 2005/2006