Friday, January 28, 2005

 

Watchdog groups for every political preference

It is so obvious. The media is 'dilluting' any real possibility for a true 'public discourse'. Sorry, folks, I'm just reiterating phrases from the braindead world of Academia. Some of my colleagues out there ...well, let's forget about them. Nevertheless... I today know more about politics and the people who are reporting it to me, than I have ever had the possibility to do before... in the history of the world.

Simple question 1: So if things are so bad, how come there's a thriving community of watchdog groups out there?
Simple answer 1: Because things aren't really bad at all.

No, I do not want to come off as Pangloss. But really, the importance of watchdog groups, and the possibility they have to influence the media, opens up for more than what any Dystopia theory can provide us with.

Exhibit A and B:

I today include two watchdog groups in my links (in the bar on the left). I like them both (for different reasons).
First of all the Center for Media and Public Affairs (CMPA) which is reporting that the election campaign overall press coverage was highly favorable of Kerry (read the pdf press release).

At the same time, Media Matters for America, brings us the news that two reporters have accepted payments to promote the Bush agenda.

And while we're at it. Here's a few more of those watchdog groups that I recommend:

The Media Research Center
Accuracy in Media
Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting

More news. More sources. More verifications. How can more (of all of this) lead to less (democracy)? A reasonable answer is of course that it can't.



<< Home
depeche mode tour 2005/2006